Shilling's on the Square, Ed Cahill, Plein Air Painting

Marietta/Cobb Museum Paint Out Day 1

Shilling's on the Square
Shilling’s on the Square

 This weekend was the first paint out of the season. It’s been unseasonably cold this Spring so far, but to me it’s better than 90 in March as it can be here occasionally. Still the forecast was for rain on both Saturday and Sunday. This is the second such event sponsored by the museum and they did a great job organizing it but not so great marketing it. I can’t complain too much unless I wish to go and volunteer—most likely not. I don’t have enough time and I need to paint every spare minute I get.

So after a short Friday night meeting I attended so I could assess the competition. I decide that that I had a good chance of a prize and at least a sporting chance of a win. I’m competitive and I like to win—as they say I’m it it to win it! So I scouted all the possible spots by Google maps and their cool street views. I decide the best thing to do Saturday was get in early and get my boards stamped then set up along the square so I could do a rainy street view with the reflections and umbrellas and all that. It worked out as planed as I found an unused store front right across from Shilling’s Pub—a Marietta icon. Great place for corn beef hash and poached eggs. It was dark though and had to look around a thick pole to get the view I wanted. I stayed dry and was finished before noon with number one. I bought a tube of raw Cobb#1 umber the night before and I used it on this —might of stolen a bit of color but It certainly looks like a rainy day. It stopped about 10:30 and the light changed. I almost wish it didn’t as I think this could have used a bit more reflections on the street—should of put them in anyway.

After some lunch (should have gone for the hash but had questionable tacos) I found a spot over near the old train station for a 12 x12. I enjoy the abstract shapes in this—but I think I could have pushed the whole thing down and gotten a bit more of the roof in and less foreground. Even thought the light never came out I decided to force it anTrainStationThumbd brushed in a soft yellow glow along the front of the building. I thought this worked pretty good and along with all the angles resulted in a nice painting. Confident, I took it to the Museum dropped it off with my boards and went home.  Saturday night I collecCObb#2ted  up some of my frames and made sure they were ready. I guess this about the sixth such competition I’ve attended so I’m getting used to the procedures and pitfalls. Everything goes smooth if your prepared—usually.  It’s much easier to mount boards in a plein air frames then mess with stretchers. All you need is glazier points to secure the boards in, no messing with screws just shove them in with a putty knife.  You do need to have screwdriver for the hanger because you can’t be sure weather your going horizontal or vertical. I bought an awl and make two sets of starter holes in each frame so I can switch from on side to the other easily. I have about a dozen frames that I keep for these shows and use them over and over again—unless I get lucky and sell something.

Share this post